Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Emailing into Evernote.
When to use
If you’d like to save in Evernote information received via email, you can forward your emails into Evernote.
To forward emails to Evernote you’ll need your Evernote incoming e-mail address, which looks like this: [username].email@example.com.
Find your incoming Evernote email address by looking at your Account Info in the desktop versions of Evernote, under Settings in Evernote Web, and in the Sync tab of Evernote for iPhone.
When forwarding an email into Evernote, you can specify what notebook it belongs in, add relevant tags, and schedule reminders.
- Edit the email subject to change your note title
- Add ![date] to set a reminder on the note
- Add @[notebook] to send it to a specific notebook
- Add #[tag] to organize the note with a tag. You can have multiple tags just make sure each one starts with an #
Please note that:
- This functionality only works for existing notebooks and tags. You cannot create new notebooks or tags with this feature
- In the subject line, always put the note title first, then add any notebooks or tags. The notebook name must come before the tags.
- If you mistype either the notebook name or tags, then they will remain in the note title after it’s imported. The note will be created in your default notebook.
- This feature will not work for notebook names that contain an ‘@’ or a ‘#’, and it will not work for tags that contain a ‘#’ in their name.
Emailing into Evernote is a premium feature, but you can still send emails into Evernote even if you are on a free version by using tools like IFTTT or Zapier.
If you’re new to IFTTT, basically it stands for “If this, then that.” It creates “recipes” so that when something happens then another action takes place.
Once you get more comfortable with this tool you’ll be able to easily create recipes yourself. But in the beginning you can simply use already existing recipes.
Simply search for specific triggers and actions. If it’s something common, you’ll get a number of entries to chose from. Before activating an existing recipe for yourself, check the stats at the bottom left corner of the recipe to see how many people are already using that recipe and have hearted it. It will give you an indication if it’s a proven and trusted recipe.
Here are a few examples:
- Save starred Gmail emails into Evernote
- Send to Evernote Gmail emails labeled “Evernote”
- Send receipts into Evernote
To start using IFTTT you will need to create an account with them and connect with with the applications you want to start “talking to each other.”
Zappier is another tool that will allow you to achieve the same result.Login to download
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.