When to use
Evernote is not a dedicated task-management tool, but makes it very easy for us to manage our task lists.
Evernote is great for task management because:
- Adding a new task is as simple as creating a note.
- You can structure your to-do lists by creating a single checklist or tagging a collection of notes “Due Task.” You can save a search for notes tagged “Due Task” and easily see what’s on your to-do list by pulling up that search.
- Adding details to any to-do item (like links to other Notes, documents, or articles) is easy.
- Recording your to-dos as voice messages makes capturing your tasks super easy and fast.
- Since Evernote is available on Windows and Mac as well as apps for iOS and Android, you have access to your to-dos on any platform you choose.
- You can even “delegate” your to-dos to others by adding the to-do notes to notebook(s) shared with your collaborators and setting reminders for time sensitive items.
Depending on your preferences, you can dedicate one note to a single task or use a note for an entire list of tasks. What will make your Evernote notes look even more like checklists is adding the checkmark boxes in front of each item so that as you work through your task list you check off completed items.
Practices that will help you to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks:
- As soon as you think of something that belongs on your to-do list, create an Evernote note or add the task to your overall to-do list. If you’re adding your to-do as single notes, remember to properly tag them or put them into your task-dedicated notebook. You don’t even have to have Internet access when adding tasks. Your notes will be synchronized across your different devices the moment you reconnect to the Internet.
- To be able to quickly access your note(s) where you list your tasks, drag the note with your general task list to the shortcuts area. If you have more than one note with tasks, make sure that you either uniformly tag them or put them into a dedicated notebook. You can drag that tag or notebook into your shortcuts area as well.
- For time-sensitive items, take advantage of Evernote’s reminder feature.
- Create and save your task-related searches. Evernote is not a dedicated task-management software, so, when you first open it, you will not see at a glance the items that you need to take action on. However, the process of retrieving the notes with items that are due is super simple and won’t take but a second. All you need to do is to create a search that specifies the notebook or tag(s) for due-items and save it. Tags to consider: due, urgent, follow-up, waiting, open task.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.