This course has been retired and is no longer supported.
About this lesson
As a Teams user, you do not need to have your own Microsoft 365 service to work with, but for us to "play" with Teams, we need a safe environment for you to use where you have full control of the settings. In this lesson, you'll learn how to acquire a free Microsoft 365 Trial account for Microsoft 365 Business Standard and create a 2nd users for use in the class.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Creating a Microsoft 365 Trial Account.docx
67.4 KB Creating a Microsoft 365 Trial Account - Solution.docx
Creating a Microsoft 365 free trial account
Before you begin the class, you should acquire a trial account to work with. In addition, you need to install the Teams client.
When to use
Follow the guidance in the lesson before you perform the rest of the class.
Setting up an account is straightforward. Simply find the main page for Microsoft 365 Business offerings and pick the Business Standard offering.
Be sure to click on the Free Trial link as shown in the lesson, and not "Buy Now." You will then be prompted to fill out the forms similar to subscribing to any online service.
After the service is deployed, you will be shown the Microsoft 365 admin portal.
You may be tempted to download and install Microsoft Office which is included in the trial. If you don't have Office, go right ahead. However, if you do have Office, be advised it is very challenging to "revert" to a previous version of Office one it is upgraded. It is strongly recommended to not install a temporary version of Office on top of another version.
Next, launch Teams from the web page by clicking on the checkerboard in the upper left of the admin page. That will take you to a page where you can download and install the Teams client.
Hints & tips
- Use an email address you can access as you may need if you forget the password
- Use a phone number that can receive a text message for validation
- Be sure to write down the login username and password
- You will not be charged for 30 days. Put a note on your calendar to cancel the service before then
- If you do not have Microsoft Office, feel free to download and install Office which comes as part of the service. If you do have Office installed, do not install the Microsoft 365 version of Office on top of it.
- The Teams client provides a richer experience than the web client so use it when you can
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.