About this lesson
A 2D Task List is a project scheduling tool for managing a batch of similar items that must be processed through the same project steps.
2 Dimensional Task List
Project scheduling tool for managing a batch of similar items that must be processed through the same project steps.
When to use 2 Dimensional Task List
The 2D Task List is ideal for the project that has a batch of items must be processed through similar project management steps, such as the development of software modules or the qualification of many vendors/suppliers.
- Create the project schedule based upon project requirements and constraints using Milestone Charts, Gantt Charts, or Network Diagrams.
- Identify tasks that are a batch – similar set of activities applied to multiple items.
- List the items in the first column of the matrix and the activities as column headings.
- Plan an end date for each item and activity and place it in the appropriate cell of the matrix.
- Show the batch as a single summary task on the Gantt Chart or Network Diagram.
- As the work is completed, change the background color of the cell to indicate that it is done.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.
PMI, PMP and PMBOK are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.