About this lesson
Identify the terminology and elements of the Ribbon.
Download this lesson’s exercise file.The Ribbon
Identifying the terminology and elements of the Ribbon.
When to use
Use to understand the terminology and elements of the Ribbon.
The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT)
- This is the single row of icons at the top left of the screen
- Gives one-click access to your most used commands
- To add more commands to the QAT, click the down arrow on the right end of the small icons
- Made up of Tabs, Groups, and Commands
- Tabs are used to hold groups of similar natures
- Groups are collections of related controls
- Controls can consist of buttons, menus, and galleries
Dialog Box Launchers
- Located in the bottom right corner of many (but not all) groups
- Look like little arrows in boxes
- Launch advanced options for the group
- All ribbon commands can be activated by the keyboard
- Press the ALT key, then type the series of letters that lead you through the tabs to your commands
- The Ribbon dynamically resizes depending on the screen size
- Groups and controls will collapse into smaller versions so that all commands fit on screen
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.