Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Working with Data Bars.
When to use
When you want to add a quick visual indication to show the proportion of a value versus the others in a data set.
Creating Data Bars
- Select your range of data
- Go to the Home tab --> Conditional Formatting --> Data Bars
- Choose your favorite color
- Notice that the bars show the numbers in proportion to the others in the selected range
Modifying Data Bars
- Select any cell that holds the data bar
- Go to the Home tab --> Conditional Formatting --> Manage Rules
- Select your rule --> Edit
- Make your modifications
- For advanced customization (such as axes) click Negative Value and Axis
Hints & tips
- These bars are very easy to read and allow users to very quickly consume your data
- When using multiple data bar rules in a single column, it’s a good idea to use complementary colors for the rules
- Data bars can overlap other types of conditional formatting for complex rules
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.