Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Entry level steps to allow the user to record macros in Excel.
There are no related exercise files for this lesson.
Setting up the Macro Environment
How to set up the environment for working with Macros and VBA.
When to use
When you have a brand new Excel install or when you have not recorded macros in Excel before.
Displaying the Developer tab
- Office icon --> Options --> Popular --> “Show Developer Tab in the Ribbon”
Excel 2010 & higher
- Right click any Ribbon tab --> Customize the Ribbon
- Check the box next to Developer tab on the right side of the screen
Trust Center Configuration
Go File --> Options --> Trust Center --> Trust Center Settings
Review “Macro Settings”
- Should be set to “Disable all macros with notification”
- Do not “Trust access to the VBA project object model”
To allow specific folders to run without prompting:
- Go to Trusted Locations --> Add New Location
- Be warned: anything here will run without asking you!
Requiring Variable Declaration
This is a key step for new coders (impact will be shown in the Variables section)
- Go to Developer Tab --> Visual Basic Editor --> Options
- Check “Require Variable Declaration”
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.