About this lesson
A discussion on which files types support macros, and why it is critical to save your work before moving forward.
Download this lesson’s exercise file.File types & saving.xlsm
File types & saving
Saving a file that contains macros.
When to use
When you want to save your new macro.
Saving the File
- Go to File --> Save As --> Browse and find the location to save your file.
- For the “Save as type” field, select a file type that supports macros
Choosing a File Format
File formats that support macros:
- .xlsm (recommended)
- .xls (legacy format)
File formats that are not macro-compatible:
- .xlsx (default file format)
Hints & tips
The following tips give you fall back points in case something goes wrong at any stage (just close without saving changes)
- Save your file before you record your macro
- Save your file again after you record your macro, but before you run and test it
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.