Layout Tips Part 5
Layout tips explained using the CRaFT methodology.
When to use
Layout tips can assist in building a financial model in Excel which is easy to understand and navigate through.
- To format a range of cells you first need to highlight all of the cells. A quick way of doing this is as follows:
- Click anywhere in the range
- Hold CTRL + A
- CTRL + 1 is the shortcut to format cells. This can also be accessed on the Home tab / Number group / select the arrow in the bottom right hand corner of the Number group
- Use Number Format to edit the type of data that is entered.
- Go through each of the tabs in the Format Cells dialog box shown above to format the cells as desired. Ensure for consistency that each sheet is formatted in the same manner
Protecting a Workbook
- Protect Workbook
- Structure of workbook cannot be changed, e.g. hiding / moving / deleting of sheets
- Protect Worksheet
- Locked cells cannot be accessed or modified
- Lock Cells
- Cannot be accessed / modified if worksheet is protected
- To make a copy of the sheet once all of the formatting is complete, a shortcut is as follows:
- Hold CTRL
- Pick up the Sheet Title tab using the mouse
- Continue to hold down the CTRL button whilst you drag the sheet and drop it
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.