About this lesson
View version history and restore previous versions of files in Google apps.
Version history (previously called 'Revision history') is allows you to see all the changes that have been made to a file and restore previous versions of a file in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Drawings.
When to use
When you want to see what a file used to look like, when different changes were made, what they were, and who made them, or restore previous versions of the file.
Open and close revision history
- Click “File”
- Click “Version history”
- Click "See version history"
- To close version history and return to your document, click the back arrow in the top left
- The date and time each set of changes were finished is displayed in the “Version history” sidebar
- Click the revisions in the sidebar to see different versions of the file
- Click the arrows in the top bar to see individual changes made to each version
- Uncheck the “Show changes” box to see the version without changes highlighted
- Click the dropdown arrow next to a particular version to see an expanded list of individual changes
Restore previous revision
- Click on the revision you want to restore in the “Version history” sidebar
- Click “Restore this version”
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.