About this lesson
Use the tools menu for spelling, voice typing, translation and dictionary.
The Tools Menu in Docs
The “Tools” menu lets you access several useful tools in Google Docs, like a spellchecker, dictionary, outline generator, word count, automatic dictation, translator, script editor, and automatic substitution.
When to use
When you need to use any of these functions.
Options in the Tools menu
- Spelling: Run a spellcheck on your document. When it finds a misspelled word, choose to change it, ignore it, or add it to your personal dictionary.
NOTE: Words added to the personal dictionary will be accepted as correctly spelled from then on.
- Explore: A research tool that lets Google suggest useful information about your document from the internet.
- Define: Look up words in a dictionary.
- Document outline: Automatically generate an outline of your document.
NOTE: Google Docs looks at the layout of your document and makes guesses about what should go in the outline, so don’t expect perfection.
- Word count: Find out how many pages, words, and characters there are in your document.
- Voice typing: Dictate text into your microphone and Google Docs will write it in your document.
- Translate document: Create a new document with a translation of your text by Google Translate.
- Script editor: Script editing for programmers.
- Preferences: Change the automatic corrections that Google makes while you’re typing.
- Personal dictionary: The spell checker will ignore all the words on this list. Add or remove words from the list here.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.