Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Design Report from Scratch, Add Field to Record Source
The Caption property for a control defines what will be displayed in that control when viewed. The Caption property of a form or report is what will be displayed in the title bar when the object is opened or previewed. For a label, the Caption property shows what will be displayed in the control. Users see captions.
The Left property determines how far from the left margin a control will be displayed.
Every control has a name that will be used to refer to the control. Users do not see the control names. It is a good idea the change the Name property to be logical. For bound controls, you can set the Name to the same as the Control Source.
The Record Source of a form or report is the name of a table, query, or SQL statement. The Record Source specifies the fields that will be available.
Report Design Command
The Report Design command creates a blank report with a Page Header section, Detail section, and a Page Footer section. It opens in Design View.
The Left property determines how far down from the top of a section that a control will be displayed.
The Width property determines how wide a control will be.
Plan a report
- To plan a report, first sketch out what you want on a piece of paper.
Create a Report using Report Design
- To create a new report, click on the CREATE ribbon
- Choose Report Design in the Reports group
- If the Property Sheet is not showing, press (Alt-ENTER) to turn it on
- Select the report object by clicking the square in the upper left where the Rulers intersect
- On the Data tab of the Property Sheet, choose a Record Source
- Click Add Existing Fields from the REPORT DESIGN TOOLS, DESIGN ribbon
- Drag fields to the design surface
- Customize by setting properties, resizing, moving, and deleting controls
Add Field(s) to a Report Record Source
- From the Design View of a Report, select the report by clicking in the upper left where the rulers intersect. You will see a black square.
- On the Data tab of the Property Sheet, click on the Builder Button (...) for the Record Source
- Make desired changes
- Save and Close
When 2 or more controls are selected in the Design View of a Form or Report, they can be aligned with each other. Either:
- Right-click on the selection and choose Align and then Left, Right, Top, Bottom, or To Grid from the shortcut menu
- or, if you have customized the QAT to add Align object commands, click on one of the Align icons
Move a Control without Moving its Associated Label
- To move a control without moving its associated label (or vice-versa), click on the big square in the upper left and drag.
- You can also set its Left and Top properties on the Property Sheet when it is selected.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.