About this lesson
Learn how to add grouping and sorting to a report to order information.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Services_24_Start Group and Sort.accdb
1.7 MB Services_24_Group and Sort.accdb
Group and Sort
In a Report, fields can have up to 10 levels of sorting and grouping. A grouped field can have subtotals in the group header and the group footer. All records in the grouped section have the same value in the field that is used for grouping.
Controls in a Group Footer are displayed at the bottom of a grouped field value, just before the next Group Header.
Controls in a Group Header are displayed each time the value in a grouped field for that section changes.
A Grouped reports shows data divided into sections by field values. For instance, you may want all customer information to appear together. This difference between sorting and grouping is that groups can have sections for group header and group footer.
Grouping means breaking your data at logical places, such as when the year of a date changes, usually to calculate subtotals and other statistics.
Sort means to arrange data in a particular order. On a report, there can be 10 levels of sorting and/or grouping. Fields can be sorted in Ascending or Descending order.
Add Grouping and/or Sorting to a Report
- Go to the Design or Layout View of a Report
- Click the Group & Sort icon on the DESIGN ribbon.
- Modify information in the Group, Sort, and Total pane.
Change the Background Color of a Section
- To change the Background color of a section, click on the section bar or a blank area of the section to select it.
- Click the paint bucket icon on the HOME ribbon or the FORMAT ribbon (Shape Fill)
and choose the color
- or set the Back Color property on the Format tab of the Property Sheet.
Close Extra Space to the Right or at the Bottom of a Report
- If there are blank pages, there is extra space in the report. Go to the Design View
- Drag the right border to the left when the mouse cursor shape changes to a vertical line and double-headed horizontal arrow.
- Drag the bottom border of each section up when the mouse cursor shape changes to a horizontal line and double-headed vertical arrow.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.