About this lesson
Learn how to work with the ribbons in Access and add frequently used commands to the Quick Access Toolbar.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.2.05 customizing-the-quick-access-toolbar - Exercise.docx
43.4 KB 2.05 customizing-the-quick-access-toolbar - Exercise solution.docx
103.2 KB Contacts01.accdb
Customizing the Quick Access Toolbar
We can ensure that commands we use frequently are easily accessible by adding them to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). Any command, even commands not visible on the ribbons can be added to the QAT.
When to use
It is recommended that you add frequently used commands to the Quick Access toolbar to make them easier and quicker to access, improving efficiency.
The Quick Access Toolbar is located in the top left-hand corner. By default, it will be located above the ribbon and will contain the default commands, Save, Undo, and Redo.
Customizing the Quick Access Toolbar Using the Menu
- Click the drop-down arrow to show the Customize Quick Access Toolbar menu.
The commands with ticks next to them are the ones that are currently on the Quick Access Toolbar.
- Click New and Spelling to add these commands to the QAT.
Changing the location of the Quick Access Toolbar
- Click the drop-down arrow and select Show Below the Ribbon from the menu.
Adding Other Commands
We can add other commands not in the list in two ways.
From the Ribbon
- From the Create tab, right-click on the Table command.
- Select Add to Quick Access Toolbar.
- Repeat this process to add any command from any ribbon to the Quick Access Toolbar.
From Access Options
Not all commands in Access are displayed on the ribbons. To see the full list and add any of them to the Quick Access Toolbar, we need to customize the QAT in Access Options.
- Click the File tab and select Options.
- From Access Options, select Quick Access Toolbar.
On the right-hand side, we can see the commands currently on the Quick Access Toolbar. On the left-hand side, we can see all commands available in Access. The commands are grouped and listed in alphabetical order.
- From the Choose commands from drop-down menu, select Popular Commands.
- Scroll through the list and find the Align Left command.
- Click on the command and click the Add button in the middle.
- Repeat this process to add the Align Right command.
- Use the arrow keys on the right-hand side to re-organize the commands.
We can add some structure to the Quick Access Toolbar by including separators. Separators separate commands and effectively help you group together commands of a similar type.
- Scroll to the top of the list of commands.
- Click on Separator.
- Click the Add button in the middle.
- Use the arrow keys to move the separator into the required position.
- Repeat this process to add more separators.
Removing Commands from the Quick Access Toolbar
- From the Quick Access Toolbar, right-click on the command and select Remove from Quick Access Toolbar.
- OR, from the File tab, click Options and Quick Access Toolbar.
- Select the command on the right-hand side and click the Remove button in the middle.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.