About this lesson
Understanding the screen layout is paramount to mastering this program. Take a tour of the screen elements and ribbon.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Outlook Screen Overview.docx
Outlook Screen Overview
When viewing Outlook 2016 for the first time, it is important to become familiar with the screen aspects and button locations.
When to use
You will use this the first time you are in Outlook 2016 and any time you need to navigate around Outlook. In future lessons you will focus on specific items.
Follow along with the video for an introduction to the Outlook 2016 screen elements. This includes:
- The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) - add commands for easy access
- Ribbons - File, Home, Send/Receive, Folder, View
- "Tell me what you want to do" - search for help and commands
- Navigation Pane - navigate through your folders
- Peek Pane - hover over the Calendar, People and Tasks icons for a quick view of these items
- Email Reading Pane - read and reply to emails
- Reading Views and Zoom Control - switch between Normal and Reading View and zoom in or out
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.