About this lesson
Before you create a new project, make sure you have all the project options configured as you want them. Unless you have a unique reason to do otherwise, it is a good practice to start with a blank project.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Create a New Project.mpp
223 KB Create a New Project - Completed.mpp
Create a New Project
Before you create a new project, make sure you have all the project options configured as you want them. If you will recall from the previous lesson, project options are accessible from the File tab and selecting the Options menu item.
Unless you have a unique reason to do otherwise, it is a good practice to start with a blank project.
To set up your first project, follow these steps:
- Verify all the project options are configured as you want them. See the previous lesson for recommended settings.
- Create a new blank project.
- Adjust the layout of the Gantt chart entry table so it looks the way you want. For example, stretch out the task name field, make sure the start and finish dates are visible, and move the predecessors column closer to the task name column.
- Click the Project tab and then click the Project Information icon.
- Before you start adding tasks, save your project and verify the new project name displays in the project summary task (task level zero).
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.
PMI, PMP, CAPM and PMBOK are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.