Create Resource Assignments
There are two ways to refer to resources in a project schedule. If you are talking about resources, you are referring to the people, generic, or things in the resource sheet. If you are talking about resource assignments, you are referring to assigned resources on a task.
In this lesson, you add resources to a task and identify how much time each resource will require for that task.
It is very simple to assign resources to tasks by simply selecting the resource names picklist and select the resource(s). Assuming you are using the standard calendar, a resource assignment for a 10-day task will calculate as 80 hours (8 hours a day * 10 days).
Very often, people do not work as many hours as they estimate for the duration. For example, if I ask you to meet with your manager to make an important decision, that meeting might take 2 hours. However, you know your manager is very busy and might even be on vacation for a week, so you will ask the project manager for a total of 10 days in duration. The project manager will create a task in their project schedule for 10 days to make the decision, and then assign you for a total of 2 hours of work.
To assign resources to your project, follow these steps:
- Go to the Gantt chart view.
- Click the View tab, and then select the Details checkbox.
- The task form split view will appear at the bottom of the window.
- Click a task in the Gantt chart view, and then assign one or more resources in the task form.
- Click the OK button and then adjust the Work column for each resource.
- Click the Next button to go to the next task and continue assigning resources.
Note: Rather than click the OK and Next buttons, you can use the Enter (return) key on your keyboard.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.
PMI, PMP and PMBOK are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.