Pictures - Crop
Cropping Tools let you cut away parts of a picture frame, but the original picture is preserved.
When to use
Pictures can fill boxes, circles or various other shapes. The cropping tools allow you to choose which part of the picture to fit into the new area of shape.
Begin by opening the corresponding Exercise File with this lesson, or go to File, New and find the template called Newsletter (soft blue design).
When a picture is selected, you will see handles around the frame and a new ribbon:
Activate the Crop feature
- Select a picture, click the Picture Tools ibbon, click Crop.
- Notice the handles on the picture change to Crop Lines.
- The mouse changes to match the crop lines when selecting them.
- Basically, the frame is cropped and the remaining portion of the picture is what you see. The full picture maintains itself and can be brought back if needed.
New Crop features on toolbar
Observe the results compared below.
Note: All 3 have the same frame area.
Crop to Shape
- Ctrl + Scroll is faster than pointing to the bottom right zoom controls. Zoom in or out quickly by holding down CTRL and scroll with your mouse wheel.
- To un-do anything, simply press Ctrl + Z, or click the un-do button on the Quick Access Toolbar.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.