About this lesson
Adjust picture brightness, color, reset to original, or compress picture file size. Plus swap picture locations with a click of a button.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Pictures - Adjust, Swap.docx
Pictures - Adjust, Swap
Adjust picture brightness, color, reset to original, or compress picture file size.
When to use
Use the Adjust tools to make basic level changes to a picture without using expensive photo-altering software.
- Begin by opening the corresponding Exercise File with this lesson, or to go File, New and find the Newsletter (Soft Blue design).
- When a picture is selected, you will see handles around the frame and a Picture Tools ribbon: Notice the Adjust section of the Picture tools.
- Picture Corrections will adjust brightness and contrast. Brightness makes the picture lighter or darker and Contrast lessens the difference between shadows and highlights, which washes out a picture.
- Choose from the options or click Picture Correction Options and set the levels manually.
- Picture Recolour applies effects such as grayscale, sepia, or washed out. Many years ago, washed out effects were known as water marks.
- Compress: Condenses picture “file size”, but not physical size on page.
- Change: Change or remove a picture while keeping the placeholder intact.
- Reset: Removes all formatting and sizing changes made to the picture.
- Swap the selected pictures and they will change locations on the page.
Now practice using each of the options pictured above on the Adjust tools list.
- Ctrl + scroll to zoom in is faster than pointing to the bottom right zoom controls. Zoom in or out quickly by holding down Ctrl and scroll with your mouse wheel.
- To un-do anything, simply press Ctrl + Z, or click the un-do button on the Quick Access bar:
- Ctrl + A to select all pictures, text, and other elements on a publication.
- Click and drag a lasso around the pictures to select them all.
- Ctrl + click each picture to select multiple pics to align simultaneously.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.