Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Adjust picture brightness, color, reset to original, or compress picture file size. Plus swap picture locations with a click of a button.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Pictures - Adjust, Swap.docx
Pictures - Adjust, Swap
Adjust picture brightness, color, reset to original, or compress picture file size.
When to use
Use the Adjust tools to make basic level changes to a picture without using expensive photo-altering software.
- Begin by opening the corresponding Exercise File with this lesson, or to go File, New and find the Newsletter (Soft Blue design).
- When a picture is selected, you will see handles around the frame and a Picture Tools ribbon: Notice the Adjust section of the Picture tools.
- Picture Corrections will adjust brightness and contrast. Brightness makes the picture lighter or darker and Contrast lessens the difference between shadows and highlights, which washes out a picture.
- Choose from the options or click Picture Correction Options and set the levels manually.
- Picture Recolour applies effects such as grayscale, sepia, or washed out. Many years ago, washed out effects were known as water marks.
- Compress: Condenses picture “file size”, but not physical size on page.
- Change: Change or remove a picture while keeping the placeholder intact.
- Reset: Removes all formatting and sizing changes made to the picture.
- Swap the selected pictures and they will change locations on the page.
Now practice using each of the options pictured above on the Adjust tools list.
- Ctrl + scroll to zoom in is faster than pointing to the bottom right zoom controls. Zoom in or out quickly by holding down Ctrl and scroll with your mouse wheel.
- To un-do anything, simply press Ctrl + Z, or click the un-do button on the Quick Access bar:
- Ctrl + A to select all pictures, text, and other elements on a publication.
- Click and drag a lasso around the pictures to select them all.
- Ctrl + click each picture to select multiple pics to align simultaneously.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.