About this lesson
Use the Publisher layout guides and rulers to control the placement of your shapes.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Shapes - Control Placement.pub
Shapes, Control Placement
Move shapes into their exact positions by using Layout Guides, Zoom Control, Rulers and Nudge.
When to use
Layout guides are useful in any publication; Zoom Control works in all Microsoft programs; Rulers can be repositioned, and Nudge (with the arrow keys on your keyboard) are masterful in moving a shape.
Helpful Hints to Align Shapes:
- Turn on Layout Guides
a. Click the View Ribbon ,
- Click the Page Design ribbon , Guides
- Choose a ruler guide: As shapes align to the guide, that “line” will brighten.
2. Use “Nudge” (the arrow keys)
3. Zoom in (Ctrl + mouse wheel) or use bottom right of screen:
4. Collapse ribbons for more viewing area (double click any ribbon tab)
5. Move the Rulers into your work area and add more Guidelines as necessary
6. Use a “Straight Edge” line to help align shapes if necessary.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.