About this lesson
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Mail Merge to Envelopes - Exercise.docx
39.9 KB Mail Merge to Envelopes - Exercise Solution.docx
Mail Merge to Envelopes
Merge mailing lists onto envelopes with this time-saving process.
When to use
Directly printing to envelopes is preferable over sticking on labels that can occasionally be placed crooked. If you have a mailing list established, you can easily merge the data onto envelopes.
- Begin with a blank document
- Click on the Mailings ribbon, then Start Mail Merge
- Click Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard...
The Mail Merge Wizard pane appears on the right side of the screen.
Notice the bottom of the pane where it identifies your current step.
- STEP 1: Select Document Type and choose “Envelopes”, then click Next at the bottom
- STEP 2: Select Starting Document and choose “Change document layout”, and click
- Select the envelope size to match your purchased envelopes, click OK
- You should see an envelope template on your screen, then click Next at the bottom
- STEP 3: Select Recipients asks you where your list is. Choose one option: Use existing, Select from Outlook, Type a new list
- If you Type a new list, click CREATE, enter the data, click OK and SAVE the file.
- If you “Use an existing list”, click Browse, find the file and click OPEN
- The Mail Merge Recipients box opens, and notice the options to sort and filter, or select only certain records.
- Click OK
- Click Next at the bottom
- STEP 4: Arrange your envelope;
On the Mail Merge pane, click Address block; make your choices in the dialogue box and click OK
- Notice the new field possibly appeared in the upper left corner of the envelope
- Turn on the show/hide codes and cut and paste the Address block into the proper section of the envelope.
- Type a return address if desired.
It is VITAL that you do not erase or delete the chevron marks on the field. They are codes that enable the fields to work.
- STEP 5: Preview your envelopes; If you don’t like the line spacing or fonts, now is the time to change them.
- Select all (Ctrl + A), click the HOME ribbon, Paragraph group, Line Spacing button, and choose:
- STEP 6: Complete the merge allows you to either Print or Edit the individual envelopes.
It is recommended to Edit the envelopes because it gives one last chance to preview and/or change each individual envelope.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.