About this lesson
Learn to create and link captions to images and text.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Learn to create and link captions to images and text
When to use
Captions are commonly known as the descriptions under photos. But they are also a technical cross-reference tool that will link document text to the caption. Finally, captions can be gathered into a “Table of Figures”, similar to a Table of Contents, with page number references
Add a caption to a photo
- Click the first picture in the document, and then click the References Ribbon, Captions group.
- Enter the text you would like to appear under the picture.
- Change the Label and Position if desired.
- Click OK
Create a cross reference within the text to the Figure
- Click into your text and place the insertion point where you want the cross reference link to appear.
- Click the References Ribbon, Captions group, Cross Reference
- Make sure the Reference type shows “Figure” and choose from the list compiled from your already captioned pictures.
- Click Insert
Create a Table of Figures
- Click into your document and place the insertion point where you want the Table of Figures to appear.
- Click the References Ribbon, Captions group, Insert Table of Figures.
- The default settings are usually fine, click OK
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.