About this lesson
Merge mailing lists to print directly onto envelopes.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Mail Merge to Envelopes
Merge mailing lists onto envelopes with one time-saving process.
When to use
Directly printing to envelopes is preferable over sticking on labels that can occasionally be placed crooked. If you have a mailing list established, you can easily merge the data onto envelopes.
- Begin with a blank document.
- Click Mailings, Start mail Merge.
- Click Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard.
The Mail Merge Wizard pane appears on the right side of the screen. Notice the bottom of the pane where it identifies which step you are currently on.
Step 1: Select Document Type and choose “Envelopes”, then click Next at the bottom.
Step 2: Select Starting Document and choose “Change document layout”, and click Envelope options.
- Select the envelope size to match your purchased envelopes, click OK.
- You should see an envelope template on your screen, then click Next at the bottom.
Step 3: Select Recipients asks you where your list is. Choose one option: Use existing, Select from Outlook, Type a new list.
- If you Type a new list, click Create, enter the data, click Ok and Save the file.
- If you “Use an existing list”, click Browse, find the file and click Open.
- The Mail Merge Recipients box opens, and notice the options to sort and filter, or select only certain records.
- Click OK.
- Click Next at the bottom.
Step 4: Arrange your envelope
- On the Mail Merge pane, click Address Book, make your choices in the dialogue box and click OK.
- Notice the new field possibly appeared in the upper left corner of the envelope:
- Turn on the show/hide codes and simply cut and paste the Address block into the proper section of the envelope.
It is vital that you do not erase or delete the chevron marks on the field. They are codes.
- Type a return address if desired.
Step 5: Preview your envelopes. If you don’t like the line spacing or fonts, now is the time to change them.
- Select all (Ctrl + A), click the HOME ribbon, Paragraph group, Line Spacing button, and choose:
Step 6: Complete the merge allows you to either Print or Edit the individual envelopes.
It is recommended to Edit the envelopes because it gives one last chance to preview and/or change each individual envelope.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.