Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Auto-populate a form letter with various text pulled from a list.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download the ‘before’ and ‘after’ Word documents from the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.Mail Merge to Form Letters.docx
22.2 KB Mail Merge to Form Letters - Solution.docx
Mail Merge to Form Letters
Merge mailing lists into a form letter with one time-saving process.
When to use
Manually entering data into multiple form letters is tedious and can be rampant with errors. If you have a mailing list already established, you can easily merge the data to an MS Word document.
- Begin with a blank document.
- Click Mailings.
- Start Mail Merge and click Letters:
In this exercise we will use the Mailings ribbon rather than the Mail Merge Wizard.
- Select Recipients asks you where your list is. Choose one option: Use existing, Select from Outlook, Type a new list.
- If you choose Type a new list, enter the data, click Ok and Save the file.
- If you click Use an existing list, the file system immediately opens and expects you to find your list. Do that and click Ok or Open.
- Edit Recipient List button lights up and when clicked notice the options to sort and filter, or select only certain records.
- Click Ok.
- Address Block button.
- In the letter click where the address will be located, click Address Block and make your choices in the dialogue box and click Ok.
- Notice the new field appeared:
- Remove (delete) any other address information that is on the letter.
It is vital that you do not erase or delete the chevron marks on the field. They are codes.
- Greeting Line button.
- In the letter, click where the salutation, or Greeting line, will be located.
- Click the Greeting Line button and make your choices in the dialogue box and click Ok.
- Remove any other Salutation text.
- Insert Merge Field allows you to place specific data fields within the text of the form letter.
- Highlight Merge Fields will put a grey background (non-printing) behind the merge fields so you can easily see them within your form letter.
- Preview Results will display how the letter appears with the data displayed. Click the arrows to view the next and previous letters. Note: this is NOT the final document.
- Finish & Merge.
It is recommended to Edit Individual Documents because it gives one last chance to preview and/or change each individual form.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.