About this lesson
Learn how to add Headers and Footers to a document.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Headers and Footers
Learn how to work with Headers and Footers and the ribbon features included.
When to use
Use a header or footer when you have some information that you would like to be automatically added to every page in your document, for example your name on a report, or your logo on a business letter.
Access header with the mouse
- Move your mouse to the top margin of the page and double-click.
Observe the three changes to your screen:
- The document portion is shaded and the header portion is bright.
- The dashed line appears with the header label.
- A new ribbon opens at the top:
- You can also scroll to the bottom to adjust your Footer or access it via the double click into the bottom margin of the page.
Access header with the Insert ribbon:
- Click the Insert Ribbon.
- Click Header drop-down arrow and choose a Header layout.
- Enter the text to display.
Two options to close the header/footer:
- Move your mouse to the document page and double click.
- Choose “Close Header/Footer” on the Header & Footer Tools ribbon.
Login to download
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.