Mail Merge to Labels
Auto-populate a sheet of labels with text pulled from a list.
When to use
Typing a page of labels can become tedious and inefficient. If you have a mailing list already established, then you can easily merge the addresses to an MS Word document of any type.
- Begin with a blank document
- Click on the Mailings ribbon and click Start Mail Merge
- Click Step-by-Step Merge Wizard...
The Mail Merge Wizard pane appears on the right side of the screen.
Notice the bottom of the pane where it identifies which step you are currently on.
- STEP 1: Select Document Type and choose “Labels”, then click Next at the bottom
- STEP 2: Select Starting Document and choose “Change document layout”, and click
- Select the label information to match your purchased box of labels, click OK
- You should see a label template on your screen, then click Next at the bottom
- STEP 3: Select Recipients asks you where your list is. Choose one option: Use existing, Select from Outlook, Type a new list
- If you Type a new list, click "Create" and enter the data and click OK.
- You will be prompted to SAVE the file. Make sure to write down the file location because you will need that info if you re-use the same list again.
- Click Next at the bottom. After the list is saved, your template contains FIELDS that look like:
It is VITAL that you do not erase or delete the chevron marks on the field. They are “codes”.
- STEP 4: Arrange your labels; click into the top left label box or “cell”.
On the Mail Merge pane, click Address block; make your choices in the dialogue box and click OK
- Notice the new field that appeared only in the first label cell:
- To populate all the cells with an Address Block, you MUST CLICK
- Notice all the cells shown in each label:
- STEP 5: Preview your labels; If you don’t like the line spacing or fonts, now is the time to change them.
- Select all (Ctrl + A), click the HOME ribbon, Paragraph group, Line Spacing button, and choose:
- STEP 6: Complete the merge allows you to either Print or Edit the individual labels.
It is recommended to Edit the labels because that is one last chance to preview and/or change individual labels.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.