Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
A date-specific filter for PivotTables.
When to use
When you want users to easily be able to filter the PivotTable by different date periods (year, month, quarter, day).
- Select a cell in your PivotTable
- Go to PivotTable Analyze > Insert Timeline
- Select the field to use and click OK
- Change the timeline’s name/caption in the Timeline Caption field at the top left of the Timelines tab
- Other formatting options also available in the Timelines tab
- Hold down ALT to snap to grid, making it easier to line it up with other elements
- This also works for slicers
- You can resize the timeline’s length
- You cannot resize the height, it just cuts off the bottom and doesn’t scale
Applying the filters
- Change the date period by clicking the arrow in the top right corner of the Timeline
- The default period is Months
- You can only filer by contiguous dates
Key points to remember
Only fields that are set up as dates can be used to create a timeline
- Only fields that can be filtered by date appear as an option
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.