About this lesson
In this lesson, we will learn all about the different slide layouts available in PowerPoint. We'll learn how to create new slides and apply different layouts to each, paying attention to text placeholders and content icons.
Download the ‘before’ and ‘after’ PowerPoint presentations from the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.3.08-slide-layouts - Exercise.docx
52.1 KB 3.08-slide-layouts - Exercise solution.docx
1,010.1 KB marketing-team.jpg
Working with Slide Layouts
Slide Layouts contain formatting, positioning and placeholder boxes for all of the content that appears on a slide. They help us position content on our slides like headings, pictures, charts and tables. PowerPoint includes several in-built slide layouts for use which can be customized to suit our needs. The slide layout we choose will depend on the content we need to add to the slide. There is also a blank slide layout included if you would prefer to start from scratch.
When to use
Apply slide layouts to your presentation whenever you want some guideance with the positioning of content.
Apply a Slide Layout to a new slide
- From the Home tab, in the Slides group, click New slide.
- Choose a Slide Layout, e.g. Title slide, Two content, Section header etc.
- Choose Blank Slide if you don't require placeholders.
A new slide will be added to the presentation with the desired slide layout.
Apply a Slide Layout to an existing slide
We can change the layout of an existing slide in the presentation.
- Select the slide.
- From the Home tab, in the Slides group, click Layout.
- Choose a slide layout to apply it to the current slide.
Different types of content can be added to and positioned on a slide using a slide layout. Add text to text placeholders, bulleted lists or even tables, charts, SmartArt, pictures etc, using the content icons where available. Content will be positioned within the placeholder. Remember, any content can be repositioned and customized even if a slide layout has been used.
Applying a Slide Design using Design Ideas
The Design Ideas pane will open automatically whenever you insert a picture into a slide. It can also be invoked on demand. Design Ideas contains a number of pre-designed layouts that can be applied to the slide with one-click. The Design Ideas you see in the pane will change depending on the Slide Layout in use for that particular slide.
We can set the Design Ideas pane to pop open automatically when we add certain types of content to the slide, or we can invoke it ourselves when we need it.
- Click the Home tab.
- In the Designer group, select Design Ideas.
- Choose a design to apply to the slide.
Hints & tips
- The slide layouts you see will have a different design depending on the theme you have applied to the presentation.
- You can suppress the Design Ideas pane from opening automatically when you add content by turning off the setting in File, Options, General, PowerPoint Designer section.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.