About this lesson
We will learn how to divide up a presentation into manageable chunks to assist with editing, navigation and organization.
Download the ‘before’ and ‘after’ PowerPoint presentations from the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.4.09-organizing-with-sections - Exercise.docx
1.3 MB 4.09-organizing-with-sections- Exercise Solution.docx
533.7 KB 4.09-organizing-slides- Course File Complete.pptx
Dividing up a Presentation with Sections
So far, we have added divider slides to our presentation to separate one subject from the next and provide visual markers for readers. We can also break up our presentation in to sections. Sections assist you by physically splitting up the slides into groups. Each group can be expanded or collapsed to help with editing and navigation.
When to use
Use sections whenever you want to break up a long presentation and manage each independently.
Split a Presentation in to Sections
- Select all of the slides to include in the section in the Slides Pane.
- From the Home tab, in the Slides group, click Section.
- Click Add Section.
- Give the section a name and click OK.
- Repeat steps 1-4 to add more sections.
Collapse and Expand Sections
Sections can be collapsed up so only the explanded sections are visible. This can help greatly when editing a presentation as you can focus on just the section that needs to be modified.
- Click the small arrow next to the section name in the Slides Pane to collapse the section.
- Click the small arrow next to the section name in the Slides Pane to expand a collpased section.
You can remove a section, remove all sections, rename a section, collapse or expand or add a section from the section options menu.
- Right-click on a section to see the contextual menu.
- Or, from the Home tab, in the Slides group, select Section.
- Choose the desired option from the menu.
Sections can be re-arranged and re-organized in the same way as individual slides.
- Drag and drop a section header in the Slides Pane to move the entire section and the slides contained within.
- Or, from the View tab, in the Presentation Views group, select Slide Sorter.
- Drag and drop a section header in Slide Sorter to move the entire section and the slides contained within.
Hints & tips
- Slides will be organized by section in Slide Sorter view.
- Select the section to select all slides contained within that section.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.