About this lesson
We will learn how to add comments to a PowerPoint presentation and how to delete, respond to and manage comments in a presentation that has been sent to them. We will also learn how to add speaker notes to slides and view the notes whilst presenting.
Download the ‘before’ and ‘after’ PowerPoint presentations from the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.6.02-adding-comments-notes Exercise.docx
372.5 KB 6.02-adding-comments-notes Exercise Solution.docx
Adding Comments and Notes
We can add notes to assist us when presenting to a live audience. Notes remind us of the talking points for each slide and keep us on track. We can print out a physical copy of the slides with the notes included or view our notes on the screen when presenting.
Comments are a way for teams to communicate, give feedback or make suggestions. Anyone with access can add comments or reply to comments in a presentation.
When to use
We add notes to a presentation whenever we intend to present to a live audience. We add comments whenever we want to provide feedback on a slide. This might include suggesting corrections.
There are three ways to show notes in a presentatation.
The View Tab
- From the View tab, in the Show group, click Notes.
- Type notes.
- Click Notes again to hide the notes area.
The Status Bar
- In the status bar, click the Notes button.
- Click the Notes button again to hide the notes area.
With the Mouse
- Hover your mouse over the top boundary line that separates the status bar from the slide.
- Drag the boundary line up to reveal the notes area.
- Drag the boundary line down to hide the notes area.
Notes can be printed out along with the corresponding slide.
- From the File tab, click Print.
- From the Slides section, click the drop-down and select Notes Pages.
- Click Print.
Presenter view is useful when presenting to a live audience. As the presenter, we can see the current slide, the next slide and any related notes.
- From the Slide Show tab, in the Monitors group, put a tick in the box Use Presenter View.
- Press F5 to run the slide show.
- Hover the mouse over the icons in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Click the elipses.
- Select Show Presenter View.
- Notes are on the right-hand side.
Comments are a good way of keeping track of changes and feedback from other team members. Multiple people can add comments to a presentation. Each comment is tagged with the comment authors initials.
Comments in PowerPoint are threaded, meaning anyone who has access to the presentation can reply to comments.
- Select the object on the slide to add the comment to.
- From the Insert tab, in the Comments group, select Comment.
- Or, from the Review tab, in the Comments group, select New Comment.
- Type a comment into the Comments Pane.
When the comments pane is closed, the comment will still be visible on the slide as a blue bubble.
- Click on the bubble to view the comment.
If a presentation contains many comments, it can be useful to navigate through each one efficiently.
- From the Review tab, in the Comments group, select Previous or Next.
- From the Review tab, in the Comments group, select Delete.
- Choose Delete All Comments on Slide or Delete All Comments in this Presentation.
- From the File tab, select Print.
- In the Slides section, click the first drop-down and select Print Comments.
- Click Print.
Hints & tips
- Any comments added to the presentation will be tagged with the author initials.
- It is recommended that all comments are deleted from the presentation before sending to a client.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.