About this lesson
We will tour the different options available to setup a slide show. This includes learning about how to make a presentation run automatically by rehearsing timings.
Download the ‘before’ and ‘after’ PowerPoint presentations from the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.6.03-slide-show-settings Exercise.docx
2.1 MB 6.03-slide-show-settings Exercise Solution.docx
Slide Show Settings
We need to think about how we will be presenting our slides when setting up a slide show. Are we presenting to a live audience? Do we need to be able access other applications when running the slide show? Do these slides need to be shown on a large screen at any event and automatically cycle through?
The answers to these questions will determine how we setup the slide show.
When to use
We should review slides show settings whenever we plan on presnting to an audience.
Run Slide Show
- From the Slide Show tab, in the Start Slide Show group, select From Beginning.
- Or, press the F5 keyboard shortcut.
- Or, click the Slide Show button on the Status bar.
From Current Slide
- From the Slide Show tab, in the Start Slide Show group, select From Current Slide.
Setup Slide Show
- From the Slide Show tab, in the Setup group, select Setup Slide Show.
Presented by speaker (full screen)
This option will run the slide show in full screen mode and is the default for all PowerPoint presentations.
- In the Set Up Show dialog box, select Presented by a speaker (full screen).
Browsed by an individual (window)
This option allows the presentation to run in it's own window. This means the presenter can access the desktop and other applications because the slide show isn't running in full screen mode.
- In the Set Up Show dialog box, select Browsed by an individual (window).
Browsed at a kiosk (full screen)
This option is best for presentations that need to run on a screen at something like a trade show or live event.
- In the Set Up Show dialog box, select Browsed at a kiosk (full screen).
If a slide show is set up to automatically cycle through the slide deck continuously, set it to loop so that the presentation doesn't end after the last slide.
- Select Loop continuously until Esc.
If a slide show contains alot of animation, you may choose to run the presentation without animation. This means we don't need to delete the animation which could take some time.
- Select Show without animation.
Choose Which Slide to Show
- In the Show Slide section, choose which slides to show.
- Select All to show all slides.
- Select a Range to show just those slides
- Or, setup a Custom Show.
Slides can be advanced manually or automatically. If we select to advance slides manually, PowerPoint will wait for an action from us before advancing to the next slide, such as a mouse click.
If we select to advanced slides automatically, slides will cycle through without any action from us. This relies on presence of slide timings.
Hints & tips
- Running a slide show using the button on the status bar is the same as pressing F5. It will run the slide from the beginning.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.