About this lesson
Quickly change the colors, fonts, effects or design of your entire presentation in almost a single mouse click.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download the ‘before’ and ‘after’ PowerPoint presentations from the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.Changing Themes and Colors.pptx
866 KB Changing Themes and Colors - Completed.pptx
Applying a theme to a presentation, and colors, fonts, effects and background styles.
When to use
To format the color and design of an entire presentation quickly.
- On the Design tab, click a theme in the Themes gallery to apply that theme.
- Click the More button in the Variants gallery, and then click the Colors menu button to apply a built-in color scheme.
- Click the More button in the Variants Gallery, and then click the Font menu button to apply a built-in font scheme to the presentation.
- Click the More button in the Variants Gallery, and then click the Effects menu button `to apply a built-in effects scheme to the presentation.
- Click the Format Background to change the background styles for the presentation.
The four Background Styles located at the top of the Background Styles gallery derive their color from the top four theme color entries in the Customize Colors dialog box.
There are two entries of fonts in a built-in fonts scheme. The top entry will apply that font to titles and the bottom entry will apply that font to the rest of the presentation. If you wish to apply the same font throughout the presentation, you must select a scheme that has the same font listed twice.
Office 365 Subscription- PowerPoint Designer
PowerPoint Designer generates slide design ideas to change the look of your slides.
- Select the slide you wish to add a picture to.
- On the Insert tab, in the Images group, click Pictures, and browse to the location of the picture in the Insert Picture dialog box, select the picture, and then click either:
- Insert to insert the picture directly, or
- The Insert drop-down arrow and select Link to File. Make sure that if you link to file you distribute the pictures with the presentation.
- On the Design tab, click the Design ideas button in the Designer group.
- If prompted to try Design Ideas, click Let’s Go.
- PowerPoint will automatically load Design Ideas in the Design Ideas Task Pane.
- Click the thumbnail of a design to apply it to the current slide.
- You must be connected to the internet for Design Ideas to work as content is generated from online.
- Use only photo in .jpg, .png, .gif, or .bmp format per slide.
- Use photos larger than 200 x 200 pixels in size.
- Use a theme that comes with PowerPoint and not one you downloaded from elsewhere or that you customized.
- Make sure you slide contains a Title or Title plus Content Placeholder.
- Don’t add any additional objects or shapes to the slide.
- Click File, Options, and the General tab to turn Designer on or off.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.