About this lesson
Insert, add text to, and format SmartArt graphics to quickly add diagrams to your presentation which will assist you to tell your story.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Inserting and formatting SmartArt graphics.
When to use
To insert diagrams quickly – to explain complex concepts.
Insert a SmartArt diagram
- On the Insert tab, in the Illustrations group, click SmartArt.
- Click the Insert a SmartArt Graphic icon within a placeholder.
Types of SmartArt diagram
- List, process, cycle, hierarchy, relationship, etc.
Add text to a SmartArt diagram
- Click the text pain pop-out arrow and into text directly.
- Promote or demote lines of text to form the structure of the diagram.
- On the ribbon, click the Design tab, Create Graphic group – buttons allow you to promote, demote, or move text lines up and down.
To change the SmartArt layout and style
- With the SmartArt selected, click the Design tab, and select a different layout within the Layouts group.
- With the SmartArt selected, click the Design tab, and select a different SmartArt style from the SmartArt Styles group.
- The colors of a SmartArt can be changed with the change colors drop-down arrow on the Design tab on the ribbon.
- Individual elements of a SmartArt diagram can be formatted from the Format tab on the ribbon when the SmartArt is selected.
A SmartArt can be converted to a series of graphics: With the SmartArt selected, select the Design tab, click the convert drop-down arrow on the Reset group.
The direction of a SmartArt graphic can be changed by clicking the right-to-left button in the Create Graphic group on the Design tab on the ribbon.
If a red-colored cross appears in the text pane where you enter SmartArt text, the SmartArt type you have selected cannot support the number of lines of text you have entered.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.