Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Understand and work with the tricky parts of charts such as axes and legends.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Working with advanced chart features.
When to use
To customize and populate a chart that is already inserted on a slide.
- Chart elements can be added to a chart from:
- The Layout tab on the ribbon when a chart on the slide is selected.
- Right-click any Chart element or double/triple clicking it will bring up the dialog box to customize that particular option.
Good practice when working with charts
- A chart should have a relevant title.
- Each axis title should explain the category of data presented and the numerical range of the data.
- The legend should identify and explain the series data.
- A large (excessive) number of major gridlines is not necessary.
- If you have to charts on a slide with similar data types, the scales of the Y axes should be the same to allow meaningful comparisons.
The dialog box used for working with charts is ‘modeless’, which means it can remain open and the context of the box will change depending on which chart element is selected.
The dialog box can be dragged to another monitor (if connected to your computer) and remain open while you work on charts.Login to download
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.