About this lesson
Insert sound on your slides so that your presentation can play music, narration or other sound effects.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download the PowerPoint presentation used in the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.Adding Audio - Complete.pptx
Inserting audio into a slide.
When to use
To add sound associated with an animation, a slide transition, or to play on its own.
- On the Insert tab, in the Media group, click the Audio drop-down arrow, and then click either:
- Audio from File, or
- Clip Art Audio, or
- Record Audio.
Clip art audio
- Click within the search bar, type in a search term, and either press Enter on the keyboard or click the search icon.
- Select an audio icon, and click Insert.
- Browse to the appropriate audio file on your computer, select it, and click either:
Audio from file
- Insert to insert the file, or
- The Insert drop-down arrow and select Link to File[GM1] Note that if you link to the audio file, the audio file must be distributed with the presentation or the audio won’t play.
In this version of PowerPoint, audio is embedded into the presentation by default.
When you insert audio into a presentation, PowerPoint will set it to play when clicked.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.