Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
The Scrum Master is the individual who is responsible for facilitating the Agile/Scrum Sprint process.
When to Use a Scrum Master
The Agile/Scrum Sprint process requires a Scrum Master. This individual has responsibilities before, during, and after each Sprint.
- Normally, the Scrum Master is not the project leader – that is more commonly the Product Owner on a small project or a separate role on large projects that may be using simultaneous Sprints. Remember that the actual Scrum Team does not have a project leader, rather they are a self-organizing collaborative team.
- The Scrum Master ensures the Agile/Scrum process is being followed and acts as coach and facilitator to the Scrum Team.
- It is much more important that the Scrum Master have strong inter-personal skills than any specific set of technical skills, including traditional project management skills.
- Responsibilities before the Sprint:
- Work with stakeholders to identify and free up Scrum Team members for the Sprint.
- Obtain adequate facilities for the team to be c-llocated. If the team will not be co-located, reserve a meeting place for the daily Scrum Meetings including the ability to display the Scrum Board and Burn Down Chart.
- Train Scrum Team members who have not already participated in a Sprint.
- Train/orient senior management about the Agile/Scrum process in order to set expectations of their involvement.
- Responsibilities during the Sprint:
- Facilitator, timekeeper, and scribe during the Scrum Meetings.
- Maintain the Scrum Board and Burn Down Chart.
- Remove Roadblocks.
- Train, coach and encourage the team as required concerning the Agile/Scrum process.
- Prevent process tampering by senior management or Product Owner.
- Ensure adequate support from Product Owner.
- Responsibilities after the Sprint:
- Facilitate the Sprint Retrospective.
Hints and Tips
- A good Scrum Master will recognize when the Scrum Team has team dynamic problems and works to resolve them.
- The Scrum Master must protect the team from outside distractions.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.
PMI, PMP, CAPM and PMBOK are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.