These are the things that matter to you when deciding between different alternatives.
When to use
Add criteria after configuring your decision, but before making trade-offs. If you change the configuration of your decision after having already having added criteria, or if you change your criteria or their levels after making trade-offs, your results may be invalidated or deleted.
Things to keep in mind when thinking of criteria to add
- Your criteria should be preferentially independent. This means that, for example, "color" and "beauty" shouldn't both be part of your criteria, because if you like the color of an item, then you are likely to also find it more beautiful.
- However, your criteria do not have to be totally independent. For example, "size" and "weight" can both be part of your criteria, because although size often affects weight, you can still dream of a very large feather-light phone!
Criteria vs costs & other considerations
- Your criteria should be reserved for potentially beneficial variables. Other attributes (such as cost, risk, etc; or other information such as brand or department) should be entered as "costs & other considerations".
- See the "Costs and Other Considerations" lesson for more detail
How to add criteria & levels
- In the menu on the left, click on "criteria".
- Type the names of your criteria in any of the larger boxes. To add an additional criterion, click the blue "new criterion" button either at the top or at the bottom of the page.
- Add the levels under each criterion, ordered from lowest ranked at the top, to highest ranked at the bottom. To add an additional level, click on the green "add level" button below the corresponding criterion.
Editing criteria & levels
- To edit names, click on the name of any criterion or level and enter the new name that you want to call it.
- To change the order of criteria, click on the "reorder criteria" button at the top, click & hold the cross shaped cursor at the left of the criterion you would like to move, and drag the criterion to its new position. Note that reordering your criteria has no effect on your results.
- After you are finished reordering your criteria, click the "expand all" button at the top to view your levels again.
- To change the order of levels, click & hold the cross shaped cursor at the left of the level you would like to move, and drag the leve to its new position. Note that reordering your levels does impact your results.
- To copy a criterion and its levels, click on the diamond shaped icon on the right of that criterion.
- To delete a criterion or a level, click on the little garbage icon on the right of that criterion/level.
Hints & tips
- The terminology for criteria and levels can be changed at any time on the configuration page
- You can enter different names for criteria to be displayed on charts and tables by opening the sidebar and editing the "short name".
- You can enter different names for criteria to be displayed during trade-offs by opening the sidebar and editing the "trade-off name".
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.