About this lesson
If you work with PivotTables a lot, you know that they put information out the way users want to read it, but you can't use it to drive another PivotTable. So what if there was an easy way to unpivot the data? There is, and it's called Power Query!
An overview of unpivoting data in a table.
When to use
When you need to convert data into an unpivoted format so that you can drive a Pivot Table or Chart.
- Create a new query to bring your data to Power Query
- Filter out any rows that you do not need
- Delete any columns that you do not need
- Highlight the column(s) that you do NOT want to unpivot
- Right click --> Unpivot Other Columns
Finishing the Query
- Apply transformations as required
- Set data type for each column
- Rename the query
- Close & Load the query
Hints & tips
- New columns added to the source data table will automatically be unpivoted when the query is refreshed
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.