Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Building line charts in Mac Excel 2016.
How to create an effective line chart through careful manipulation of chart elements to enhance its story telling ability.
Where/when to use the technique
When you want to compare a series of data points and compare them over time, making use of techniques to help you convey your message to your readers as quickly as possible.
Reminder of Charting Goals
- Every chart should tell a story, quickly and effectively
- Extra chart elements create noise, and get in the way of the story
- It is a best practice to remove as much excess ink (noise) as you can
Creating a Line chart
- Select cells B6:N8
- Go to Insert --> Recommended Charts --> select the first recommended chart
Enhancing the Chart context
- Reformat cells D7:N8 so that they have no decimals
- Reformat cells C6:N6 so that they use a mmm-yy date format
- Select the chart title --> press = --> select cell A1 --> press Enter
Adding markers for easy reading
- Right click the Revenue series --> Format Data Series
- Click the bucket icon in the taskbar --> Marker --> Marker options
- Selection Built-in and set the type to the bullet icon
Fine tuning the elements
- Right click the date axis --> Format axis
- Set Axis Position --> On tick marks
- Go to Chart Tools --> Design --> Select Data
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.