Building line charts in Mac Excel 2016.
How to create an effective line chart through careful manipulation of chart elements to enhance its story telling ability.
Where/when to use the technique
When you want to compare a series of data points and compare them over time, making use of techniques to help you convey your message to your readers as quickly as possible.
Reminder of Charting Goals
- Every chart should tell a story, quickly and effectively
- Extra chart elements create noise, and get in the way of the story
- It is a best practice to remove as much excess ink (noise) as you can
Creating a Line chart
- Select cells B6:N8
- Go to Insert --> Recommended Charts --> select the first recommended chart
Enhancing the Chart context
- Reformat cells D7:N8 so that they have no decimals
- Reformat cells C6:N6 so that they use a mmm-yy date format
- Select the chart title --> press = --> select cell A1 --> press Enter
Adding markers for easy reading
- Right click the Revenue series --> Format Data Series
- Click the bucket icon in the taskbar --> Marker --> Marker options
- Selection Built-in and set the type to the bullet icon
Fine tuning the elements
- Right click the date axis --> Format axis
- Set Axis Position --> On tick marks
- Go to Chart Tools --> Design --> Select Data
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.