About this lesson
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.PivotTable Filtering Tools & Techniques.xlsx
1.8 MB PivotTable Filtering Tools & Techniques - Completed.xlsx
PivotTable Filtering Tools & Techniques
An overview of modern filtering techniques for Pivot Tables.
When to use
When you want to look at only specific data in your Pivot Table.
Modern filters such as Slicers and Timelines are much more user friendly than traditional filters
Inserting a Slicer:
- Go to Pivot Tables Tools tab --> Analyze --> Insert Slicer
- Select the field(s) for which you would like to create the slicer(s)
Formatting a Slicer:
- Select the Slicer and go to the Slicer Tools tab
- This provides access to change size, colours, alignment, buttons per row and more
Inserting a Timeline (a date specific slicer):
- Go to Pivot Tables Tools tab --> Analyze --> Insert Timeline
- Only fields formatted as a date will be provided in the selection list
Formatting a Timeline:
- Select the Timeline and go to the Timeline Tools tab
This provides access to change size, color, alignment, etc.)
Hints & tips
- Protect your Slicers and Timelines from being moved or resized when your Pivot Table refreshes:
- Right click on the Slicer or Timeline --> Size and Properties --> Properties section --> select option for Don’t Move or Size With Cells
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.