About this lesson
Looking at what Power Query does, and why this technology will change your life and the way you look at data.
There are no related exercise files for this lesson.
What is Power Query and What Does It Do?
An introduction to Power Query and what it can do for you.
When to use
This module helps explain the main benefits of Power Query and why you would want to use it in your organization.
In order to build a Business Intelligence (BI) solution, data must first be cleaned and transformed into a tabular format so that we can use in our data model or report.
Power Query is an ETL tool, which stands for:
- Extract – Pull data from a variety of data sources (databases, files, online, emails, etc.)
- Transform – Prepare the data (cleaning, removing, combining, etc.) into a usable format
- Load – Land the data in a tabular format for further analysis
- Gives us an array of rich tools for transforming data all in one place
- Saves hours of time that in the past was spent manually copying and pasting
- Allows one-click refresh of the data to update current or updated data quickly
- Will save you hours of time re-doing manual work
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.