Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
In this lesson we will look at how to acquire the Power Query software, and give you important information about the update cycle.
There are no related exercise files for this lesson.
Acquiring and Updating Power Query
An overview of where to get Power Query and how to access it.
When to use
This module helps explain how to get Power Query and any updates, as well as where to access it when in Excel and Power BI.
Power Query is built into Excel 2016 and Power BI. For Excel 2010 and 2013, it is available as a free download from Microsoft. (Perform a search for “Download Power Query”.)
Power Query is accessed in different tabs, depending on which program/version you are running.
- Excel 2016: Data tab, in the Get & Transform section
- Excel 2010 and 2013: Power Query tab
- Power BI: Home tab
Power Query is updated every month.
- With Excel 2016 subscription versions, all updates and new features are applied automatically.
- With Excel 2016 non-subscription versions, only bug fixes are updated.
- With Excel 2010 and 2013, and with Power BI, updates must be manually downloaded and installed.
Hints & tips
- If things look different in the videos from what you see on your screen, it is very likely due to a different version or new update that has been applied.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.