We hope you enjoyed this lesson.
Cool lesson, huh? Share it with your friends
About this lesson
If you work with PivotTables a lot, you know that they put information out the way users want to read it, but you can't use it to drive another PivotTable. So what if there was an easy way to unpivot the data? There is, and it's called Power Query!
Download this lesson’s related exercise files. You can download source data files for the course from the resources section of your Lessons page.Unpivoting Data
19.5 KB Unpivoting Data - Completed
An overview of unpivoting data in a table.
When to use
When you need to convert data into an unpivoted format so that you can drive a PivotTable or Chart.
- Create a new query to bring your data to Power Query
- Highlight the column(s) that you do NOT want to unpivot
- Right click --> Unpivot Other Columns
Finishing the Query
- Apply transformations as required
- Set data type for each column
- Rename the query
- Close & Load the query
Hints & tips
- New columns added to the source data table will automatically be unpivoted when the query is refreshed
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.