Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Learn about creating, reviewing and printing Excel comments, as well as how comments are evolving in Office 365.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Comments and notes
Creating, reviewing and printing Excel Comments and Notes.
When to use
Comments and notes are tools that we can use to help document the source data or business logic that is contained in our files. They fade into the background when not needed, but can pop up when we do need to reference them.
- In Excel 2019 only one kind of Comment exists
- In Office 365, Comments have been renamed to Notes, and an updated Comments feature has been introduced
- In this document:
- The new Comments are referred to as Comments
- Legacy comments (present in Excel 2019) are referred to as Notes
Creating Comments & Notes
- Right click a cell and choose “Create Comment” or “Create Note”
- Mouse over the cell comment or note will pop up, leave the area and it will go away
Reviewing Comments & Notes
- To review Comments or Notes, go to the Review tab
- Options for reviewing Notes include showing all notes on the sheet at once, or cycling through by clicking Next Note or Previous Next
- Options for reviewing Comments include showing the comments pane, or cycling through by clicking Next Comment or Previous Comment
- Notes may be moved around on the worksheet
Using @mentions in Comments
- In order to use the @mention feature you will need all of the following:
- The document must be stored in OneDrive, OneDrive for business of Sharepoint
- You must be using Office 365 or a version of Office higher than 2019
Printing Comments & Notes
- To print comments or notes, go to the Page Layout tab and click “Print Titles”
- Only Notes may be printed using the “As displayed on sheet” feature
- Both Comments and Notes can be printed using the “At end of sheet” feature
- Comments & Notes printed using this setting will be printed on a new page with references to the cells
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.