About this lesson
Use to understand the anatomy of Excel functions and what their components mean.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Function Anatomy - Begin.xlsx
23.8 KB Function Anatomy - Complete.xlsx
Understanding Excel Function Anatomy.
When to use
Use to understand the anatomy of Excel functions, and what their components mean.
What is a Function?
- A pre-packaged algorithm that accepts parameters to return a result.
Key points to remember
- Functions must be used inside formulas.
- The function name is always followed by ( )
- The parameters for the current function are shown in Excel’s “Intellisense”.
- The current parameter is always listed in bold.
- Optional parameters are surrounded by [ ]
- Parameters not enclosed in [ ] are required.
- Ranges can be used as parameters.
- Other functions can be used as parameters.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.