About this lesson
Identify the terminology and elements of the Ribbon.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download the Excel workbook used in the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.The Ribbon.xlsx
Application Terminology – The Ribbon.
When to use
Use to understand the terminology and elements of the Ribbon.
The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT)
- This is the single row of icons at the top left of the screen
- Gives one click access to your most used commands
- To add more commands to the QAT, click the down arrow on the right end of the small icons
- Made up of Tabs, Groups and Commands
- Tabs are used to hold groups of similar natures
- Groups are collections of related controls
- Controls can consist of buttons, menus and galleries
Dialog Box Launchers
- Located in the bottom right corner of many (but not all) groups
- Look like little arrows in boxes
- Launch advanced options for the group
- All ribbon commands can be activated by the keyboard
- Press the ALT key, then type the series of letters that lead you through the tabs to your commands
- The Ribbon dynamically resizes depending on the screen size
- Groups and controls will collapse into smaller versions so that all commands fit on screen
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.