Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Download this lesson’s exercise file.References and Inspiration.docx
References and Inspiration
Quick chat about gathering references and inspiration.
When to use
Reference material, also called 'scrap' or 'mood boards' are usually one of the first steps in the creative process. This is the material that we gather and collect that will help us to achieve the goals of a creative project. In this particular case we want to gather research and inspiration that will inspire us to create a mascot logo, but this part of the creative process should be implemented before jumping into any kind of design work.
- Once you understand the goal of a project it is important to spend some time doing a bit of research. There are of course times where we may need to rush to get a project finished, but whenever time permits it can be extremely helpful to gather relevant materials.
- Go for a walk before getting started and take note of anything that inspires you or sparks an idea along the way.
- You can use your phone or camera to take pictures of interesting signs or window displays or anything else.
- Head to a local book store and browse some design books and magazines that will help you generate ideas.
- Once you have some images or scrap material save it to your computer.
- You can upload your images to a secret Pinterest board that only you can see so that you will have a central location to access all of your inspiration.
Hints & tips
- Remember that this is all about developing a process. I am showing you my own process that works for me, but as you gain more experience with design projects you will begin to develop a creative process of your own.
- It's a great idea to take photos even if you are just using your phone so that you can come back to them later or save them to a Pinterest board.
- Pinterest is a great way to keep all of your reference materials in one place without having to use the storage space on your computer.
- If storage isn't a concern and you don't want to use Pinterest, you can simply create a folder where you will save your inspiration on your computer.
- Make it fun! We spend so much time on our computers that we forget to take breaks. You can use the opportunity to gather research to go to a book store and look at magazines or watch a movie. Anything that will get the wheels turning can be utilized.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.