Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Moving Towards the Light - Instructions.docx
203.2 KB Moving Towards the Light - Exercise.ai
1.2 MB Moving Towards the Light - Exercise Solution.ai
Moving Towards the Light
After laying down the shadows we will make another pass, this time focusing on the highlights.
When to use
After figuring out our flats and our shadows we can begin thinking about the highlights.
- Begin by opening the Moving Towards the Light - Exercise.ai file
- We want to use the lighter color that we applied at the end of the previous section to the nose (tear drop shapes behind the nostrils)
- Start off by selecting some of the solid shapes in the design and using the Eyedropper Tool (I) to try out the lighter color
- Experiment with the shapes on the horns, the nose and mouth, and also some of the main shapes on the face
- Try zooming out to get a sense for how your logo looks at a smaller size and make sure that it still works
- I have chosen to remove a few of the shapes on the forehead to give the eye a bit of room to rest
- Try to experiment with this and see what other shapes may or may not be necessary as you work and apply highlights
Hints & tips
- Be sure to zoom out when working on a logo to make sure that it reads well. Often times certain details can be lost when zoomed out, and this is how you know that you should either change them or remove them all together.
- Not every pixel needs to be completely full of detail. In fact, it's usually a good thing to try and balance out areas of detail with areas that are plain and flat.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.