About this lesson
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Creating Your First Document.docx
Creating Your First Document
Creating and saving your first document.
When to use
Anytime you want to make a new Illustrator file you will need to create a document. You can choose from a preset, template, or create a custom document with the parameters of your choice.
- Launch Adobe Illustrator
- Choose ‘New…’ from the Start Workspace
- Choose from one of the presets or templates, or create a custom document where you can set your own dimensions, color mode, orientation, and number of artboards.
- Once you have created your document, remember to go to the File menu and choose either Save or Save As before selecting a name and destination for your file.
Hints & tips
- If you want to quickly and easily navigate around a document, hold down the spacebar and then click and drag to move around freely.
- To zoom out of a document you can press Command/Ctrl and the minus key on the keyboard.
- To zoom into a document you can press Command/Ctrl and the plus key on the keyboard.
- If you have a file with multiple artboards and you only want to save one, or multiple artboards, you can do this easily by saving your file as an EPS and checking the 'Use Artboards' box in the Save As window and choosing either a range or a specific artboard that you wish to save.
- If you save your file as an Ai file you will still have the chance to save one or multiple artboards from the dialog box that appears immediately after saving.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.